Part 1 – Finding your Flow
Of course you do! It’s paradise after all; Heaven on Earth; Huna Holy Land. There is even a popular book titled as such found in nearly every brokerage office across the island dedicated to helping you make a smooth move. Together with “Hawaii Real Estate Statutes” and “Hollywood goes Hawaii”, “So you Want to Live in Hawaii” comprises the trinity of educational texts required to keep Real Estate professionals sufficiently armed with advice to assist you. But books can only go so far in preparing you for this life altering change. So, to echo the words of radio personality Paul Harvey, now for the rest of the story…
As a Malihini (or newbie) to Hawaiian living, I’m constantly going through what I affectionately call my “Haole Initiation”. My days are often full of wild and wacky moments that act as a rite of passage of sorts. Just when I think I have seen and heard it all, Hawaiian Hijinks will strike again. While not a comprehensive list, I wish to share a few of the lessons I learned in hopes of illuminating a smoother path for you to follow during your Hawaiian relocation.
- No Hurries No Worries: Living in Hawaii requires a flexible balance between constantly shifting plans and unforeseeable delays. Don’t let it extinguish your aloha.
- Conservation Consciousness: With electricity rates nearly triple that of the mainland, long hot showers cost $20 each. Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get the picture.
- Poor in Paradise: We’ve all experienced some version of sticker shock at the checkout line. Even though we are capable of growing nearly anything, nearly everything is imported.
- Business Attire: Slippers (aka, flip-flops) are work appropriate in most offices and anyone wearing a full blown suit looks alarmingly out of place.
- Sun Guilt: Feel like you need to hibernate with a movie marathon? With Hawaii’s sun and endless outdoor activities, days of rest are often permeated with guilt.
- Not Everyone is on Vacation: However, you will work as an unpaid tour guide on a daily basis. Or worse, you may find yourself operating a free “friends and family” bed and breakfast.
- Ocean Obsession: “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” ~ Jacques Cousteau
- You Can Run but you Can’t Hide: With our size, remoteness, and the fact that everybody is somebody’s uncle, you must behave. Aloha is here to stay, and if you intend to be, adopt it quick.
- Everyone is a Minority: The convergence of cultures ensures a dynamic acceptance of various traditions. Aloha keeps it peaceful.
- Creepy Crawlies: Centipedes, mosquitoes, ants, spiders, fleas, ticks, termites, roaches – you name it. They are inevitable and require you spend a little extra TLC in your home to keep them at bay.
- Wheel of Fortune Hawaii Style: Pat, I’d, like a K please, and an L, M, N, and possibly P. I’ll also buy an A and U. Hmm, I still can’t quite pronounce it…
- Attitude of Apathy: Between the remote locale and active outdoor lifestyle, you’ll find it increasingly difficult to keep up with current events.
- Mystical Folklore: Talk story with any local and they’ll have an experience to share. Keep yourself open to the magic.
- No Complaining Allowed: No matter how legitimate the frustration, your friends on the mainland don’t want to hear it.
Stay tuned for more in this 6 part series, including tips for shipping and registering your vehicle, obtaining your Kama’aina card, adjusting to the high-cost of living, long-term rental woes, and what your four-legged family members can expect.
Aloha for now…
Kauai Real Estate Services and Vacation Accommodations
If you are considering buying a home on Kauai you can see some of the island’s best real estate deals by browsing through the Coldwell Banker Bali Hai Realty Kauai Real Estate Galleries, or use the Map-Based Kauai Home Search.
For the finest quality Kauai vacation rentals including luxury estates, condos, cottages and beach villas, see our Kauai Vacation Rental Galleries or use our new Map-Based Vacation Rental Search feature.
Also please feel free to give us a call. The Bali Hai Realty staff will be happy to help you find the perfect Kauai vacation rental or assist you in the process of buying or selling a Kauai home. We also offer the highest level of personalized Concierge Services to help you plan your Kauai vacation activities.