If you haven’t had a chance to visit or use the YMCA facility in Lihue, you may want to go down and check it out. “After 90 years of service to the community, the YMCA of Kauai opened the doors of the “Kauai Ohana YMCA” facility in Puhi on July 1, 2008. The new YMCA is a place for family enrichment; a youth center; childcare facility; sports; swimming and fitness programs for all ages and abilities.”
As an avid swimmer, I think their swimming pool is fantastic! They also have a state of the art cardio/weight room. The membership prices are extremely reasonable, or you can pay a daily daily rate.
“The first YMCA on Kauai was established in 1916 at Eleele. By 1924 there were 516 members participating in 35 groups around the island. ”
Across the nation, YMCAs are committed to helping:
- Children and youth deepen positive values, their commitment to service and their motivation to learn.
- Families build stronger bonds, spend time together and become more engaged with their communities.
- Individuals strengthen their spiritual, mental and physical well-being.
- At every stage of life, YMCAs are there to help children, families and individuals reach their full potential.
Other Community Programs and Services:
The Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Teen Center
- E Ho’omau Hawaiian Festival
- Camp Naue
- Swimming Lessons
- Annual Youth Run
- Kauai All Girls Rodeo
- YMCA Facility Development
- Roller Hockey
- HSF Surfing Federation
- KSA Ocean Festival
- Save Our Seas Sea School
- Local Surfing Contests
- Hoe Wa’s Paddler Club
- North Shore Dance Club
The Y also sponsors the Kauai Loves You Triathlon.
John Ferry and Coldwell Banker Bali Hai Realty are proud sponsors of the YMCA. If you would like to donate money or just get more information about their program and facilities, please check out their website at: http://www.ymcaofkauai.org/YMCA/.